|Tiramisu dress, with pockets!|
|Tiramisu dress, flattering midriff|
|Belted Tira - I swear my lips are not neon!|
|Belted Tira - real color is deeper...|
Pattern: SewingCake 0144 - Tiramisu Knit Dress
Year: c. 2012
Fabric: Used 1.6 yards (size 35D) of Raspberry Ponte di Roma, 60% Poly, 34% Rayon and lycra, medium weight. I machine wash and dry it, can see a little piling but it didn't change the fit.
- Ball point needle #70/09,
- Stay tape for shoulders seams,
- Fusible webbing for hemming.
- Basting : #1 Strait stich with length 5.0, Satin foot B
- Construction : #7 Stem stitch, Satin foot B
- Top-sticthing : #6 Strait Stretch stich, Blind Hem foot D at 1/8 in.
- Finishing : #16 Overcast Stretch, Overcasting foot C, cut SA at 1/4 in.
- Hemming : #7 Stem stitch, Blind Hem foot D
Time to complete: maybe 9-10 hours (with tracing, cutting, sewing, learning curve of a new sewing machine and lots of sewing knits 101) Maybe 5h for the next one?
First worn: March 2013.
Wear again? YES! I already did!
Total Cost: about 25$ for 1.6m of fabric, stay tape, webbing and thread.
The Sewalong Review
|Look ma, no gap! (before hemming)|
The format (30 min a day) was perfect for my busy mommy lifestyle of night sewing bursts! Of course, it never took me only 30 min per day ; I'm a perfectionist over planner! But I learned a lot in the process ; it was my first time sewing knits. I am hooked now!
Steph C was very generous of her time and comments. She is good to help, guide beginner sewers and is funny too! The flicker group was awesome ; so much inspiration, help, kind comments! It was like having girlfriends come over everyday to chat and sew the same project! My first sewalong, but definitely not my last! :D
|Link to Etsy shop|
The Pattern ReviewPattern Description: Tiramisu: a knit dress with a surplice front, underbust gathers and cut-on sleeves, midriff section and half-circle skirt with in-seam pockets. The pattern includes optional stripes placement guide, cup sizing A-D and bust alteration line.
Pattern Sizing: Ingenious way to choose you size ; by measurements (no arbitrary numbers here!), cup size and joining the dots for the midriff. I used :
- Midriff=35 at top to 32.5 at waist.
- Skirt=32.5 with 25 hem.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instruction were easy but I loved having the sewalong group for reassurance and variation of techniques by StephC...
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the visual of the pattern instructions ; so clear and simple. I still wish pattern instructions in general would come on Letter sized paper (I have a small desk to sew!), but those were the best I used so far (I had done only patterns from the big 4 before...)
Fabric Used: 1.6 yards of Solid, Raspberry Ponte di Roma, 60% Poly, 34% Rayon and lycra, medium weight.
|twirling factor (before hemming)|
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- I am 5'2" and 40-33-40.
- I cut the Bodice size 35D, but cut the Front underbust line at size 35A.
- Midriff : I cut the size 35 at top to 32.5 at waist.
- Midriff : I also lengthen by 3/4 inch : but will not do it next time.
- Skirt : I cut the size 32.5 with the size 25 hem. I still removed about 3 inch when hemming.
- I remove 3/4 inch on the mid riff back (piece #2) at the under bust tapered to nothing at the waist. (mismatched pattern pieces, has been resolved in the second release of the pattern.)
- Cake Pattern : http://sewingcake.com/
- Etsy Cake Patterns : http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewingCake
- Tiramisu Sewalong - Flicker Group : http://www.flickr.com/groups/2143657@N21/pool/
- Tiramisu Sewalong - Tracing : My blog post 1
- Tiramisu Sewalong - Cutting : My blog post 2
- Tiramisu Sewalong - Prepping : My blog post 3
- PatternReview.com : My review of the Tiramisu pattern.