Last modified on : Sept. 2019.
Montreal's Crafty DirectoryHere is my printable list of more than 50 fabric stores in Montréal with their addresses, a brief descriptions and some maps. I also added other craft stores for baking, knitting, arts, scrap booking, etc. Please, let me know if any are closed or missing.
Also, come party with me at Montreal Frocktails - November 16th 2019 !! :D
- Visit my Montreal's Activities page to discover sewing schools, sewing related exhibits and more things to do, where to eat and where to sleep while you are in town.
- To meet fellow sewing enthusiasts nearby as well as local pattern designers, refer to my Montreal's Sewing Community page.
- I also wrote an article in Seamworks magazine about my hometown : The Seamwork's Guide to Montréal, Québec. No subscription is needed to read it. Enjoy!
Montreal's Fabrics Shopping ZonesThose zones are not the only places where to find fabrics and notions stores, but they are great to know because of the high concentration of shops related to sewing there.
You can find a handful of fabric stores on The Plaza St-Hubert (6200 to 7140 St-Hubert) hidden between the bistro, wedding gowns boutiques, tailors, local designers and shoe stores.
Staying on St-Hubert street, but going North of Jean-Talon street (7140 St-Hubert and up), you find most of Montreal's fabric stores : haberdasheries, bargain fabric shops, home decor and high ends fabric boutiques. They are numerous and easy to find.
The Chabanel Fashion Center is located North of the highway 40, going West from St-Laurent street. It used to be vibrant when a lot of fashion manufacturing still occurred in Montréal! Now, several floors are empty but there is still good bargain to find. You should print the addresses because it's all lookalike warehouses, with a maze of suites and few outdoor signs.
See the PDF downloadable document for more details and all the addresses.
|The Plaza St-Hubert (source) - St-Hubert Street (source) - Chabanel Fashion Center|
ReferencesI couldn't have made this directory without the helpful posts from fellow bloggers from all around the world and peolple like you that leave me comments about new stores! Thank you all!
- Heather Lou offers The Ultimate List of Online Fabrics Stores at Closet Case.
- Heather Lou talks about her favorites fabrics/notions stores in Montreal, at Closet Case Files. (2014)
- Le fil d'ariane - serie of articles in French about all sewing industry of Montreal : designer, school, sharpener, notions stores, fabric stores, etc.
- The big list of Canadian Online Fabric, Notions and Patterns companies, by Shannon, The Finished Garment
- Christina from Assorted Notions : She talk about her experience fabrics shopping as a tourist in Montreal in 2007.
- Sandra Phillips Smart Shopping Blog : She lists most fabric shop by address on St-Hubert and highlights the bests! (2010)
- Patterns review discussion board about fabric shopping in Montreal
- Anne-Marie @ I Mani Doro talks about fabric shopping in her town : Part 1 and Part 2.
- The selfish Seamstress talks about fabric shopping in Montreal in 2010 : Part 1 and Part 2.
- Melissa Fehr talks about Montreal.
- Montreal Meetup in 2013 by Shannon @ Finished Garment and by Heather Lou @ Closet Case File.
- PR weekend in 2010 in Mtl
- Travel log for yarn stores in Montreal by Minky Knits blogger.
- Mars 2013, Jennifer from Family Buzz talks about the store she went recently on Chabanel...
- Jennifer from Family Buzz talked about Canada Asia Threads.
- Jennifer from Family Buzz talked about American Efrid Canada.
- Comment by Heather Lou, from Closet Case Files...
- Sewing Classes in Montreal on Montreal Facile
- Handmade by Heather B : Sweatshirt fleece and ribbing online sources.
- Where Heater Grows on fabric shopping in Montreal.
- Reviews for Knitting stores by The Brain In Jane.
- Reviews for baking stores on Chow Hound.
- Montreal's Knitting Supplies Map.
- Article from La Presse 28 janv 2015 : Ou acheter de beaux tissus?