Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Plan for a Retro Inspired Bikini

Inspirations

I have been obsessively researching the web for inspiration to sew a retro inspired bikini since my last panties sewing last month... Here is my Pinterest board : inspiration for sewing swimwear and lingerie.

And a few of my favorites :

swimsuitsforall.com

Black and Floral by PettiBear
  

Key hole by Halia Mia Swimwear

 

Fabric


My husband, tired of seeing me obsess over this hypothetical project, sent me fabric shopping yesterday. I went shopping for nylon lycra in the Chabanel Fabric District. I bought some super wide black nylon lycra for a little less than 8$/m at Globe Text for muslin. Then, I bought lovely fabric : 1m of solid magenta (12.50$/m), 2m of black/white/magenta floral (13.50$/m) and 2m of black power mesh (9.50$/m) at StretchText on 9320 St-Laurent. Then, I went to Trimcity for elastic at 7381 St-Hubert. I bought some picot edge, smooth edge, clear elastic and regular braided 1/4 inch black elastic all around 3$/4yards to try out... I should have plenty to make 2 bikini and a one piece and several of top trials!


Power mesh, Floral and solids nylon lycra
Floral Fabric Scale
Various Elastics

Patterns Plan

Bikini Bottom

I plan on using my TNT pattern for the bottom : the Vera Venus Grannie Pannie, free one size pattern (size 10-12). It is fast and only have 2 seams : the crotch and back seams. For more elaborate designs, I will either use the side seams line to cu it or use my bought pattern, the Oh Lulu Betty Undies...

VV Grannie Pannie



Bikini Top


After agonizing an entire evening about which pattern to use, I finally chose Wearing History #4003D 1940s Brassiere, 5$ one size pattern (bust 32-35) after a good night sleep, filled with bikini sewing dreams! Mostly because I really like the long line and lack of underwire, it is a instant digital download and not expensive. But it is made for woven fabric. Since it is a little on the small size for myself, it might be not too bad. I will probably need to increase the bust cup size anyway... But a close second choice was Burdastyle Bustier 5/2011 #127 ; it just wasn't as long below the bust but can be made as a swimsuit by using interfacing in the front...

WH 1940s Brassiere
So now I just need enough alone time and/or quiet nights to sew it before the end of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment