New Sewing Machine and "Progress" on S1882I started resewing the dress from May to June. In this post (journal entry!) I state the last steps I made on my dress... I'm a snailstress, really!
After June, camping season came and ended with my oldest child starting pre-kindergarden! I'm so proud of her! So after the frantic months of September and October, I wanted to start working on my dress again, but sadly the sewing machine my mother-in-law gave me stop working...
I now have a new machine (Clara, my Singer Quantum Stylist 9960) and I LOVE IT! I'm doing quite a few tiny projects and Christmas presents in the last month with it - I will obviously post about them after the Holidays!! My new machine offer a lots of stitches and I will need to revisit how I finish the seams of my dress...
Resewing the dress S1882
What I did :
- Alteration - Hem: I removed 6 inches from the bottom
- Alteration - Skirt: I removed from nothing (size 18) at the waist to 1/2 inch (size 16) from the notch to the hem.
- Seam finishing: I chose to turn the seams allowances under, for a cleaner look inside and durability. I tested before on scraps to be sure it wouldn't show through when ironed. I used my blind hem foot to sew equidistant from the folded edge of the seam allowances.
- I started with the midriff piece and had some trouble to align the piping edge at 5/8" since the store bought piping was only 1/4" ; so I used my grand-mother tape with a long metal end that is exactly 5/8" to align the piping as I machined basted it to the midriff piece.
- I then sew the skirt pieces and finish the side seams with large double fold bias tape.
- Attach skirt to midriff : TO DO
- Alter bodice : TO DO
- Sew bodice : TO DO
- Attach bodice to midriff : TO DO
- Zip : TO DO
- Collar : TO DO
- Sleeves : TO DO
- Hem : TO DO
Next time I should
- REVIEW HOW STRATEGY TO FINISH SEAMS...
- Pin carefully the previously finished seams allowance when sewing the piping to avoid them being caught up.
- Step 10 - Avoid raw edges for the bottom seam of the pockets
- I need to alter the pattern pieces : TO DO
Wednesday May 2nd : maybe 1h, I don't remember
May 31rst : 1h alterations
Thursday June 14th : 4h midriff, piping, skirt
Friday June 15th: ?h, skirt seams finishes not all done...